Thai Style Fish Chowder
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Makes: 16 tasting servings
Recipe by Lynn Fredericks
7 cups Chicken Broth
3 cloves Garlic
½-inch piece Ginger
1 Thai Chili Pepper
(or Jalapeno, or Habanera/
1 box/bag frozen Lima Beans
1 ½ pounds White Fish Fillets
(Cod, Sole, Halibut, etc.),
1 can Coconut Milk
3 ears Corn
1 ½-inch cube Tamarind (or liquid Tamarind concentrate to taste)
½ bunch Cilantro
½ bunch Asian Basil
¼ bunch Mint
6 Kaffir Lime Leaves (optional)
1 tablespoon Thai Fish Sauce (Nam Plah)
- In a large pot, HEAT the chicken broth over medium heat (about 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, PEEL garlic and ginger, and then SLICE them thinly.
- SLICE the chili in half (if using scotch bonnet or jalapeno, remove seeds with a teaspoon; use only ½ scotch bonnet). ADD these ingredients to the broth.
- PEEL the potato and then DICE it.
- ADD diced potatoes and the lima beans to the broth and COOK for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, CUT the fish fillets into 1 ½-inch chunks.
- CUT the corn off the cob. Be sure to WORK slowly and carefully and CUT deeply enough so that the whole kernels are removed.
- ADD the fish, corn, and the coconut milk to the pot and COOK for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, FILL a wide liquid measuring cup with ½ cup warm water, and ADD the tamarind to it. With clean hands, using the fingers, DISSOLVE the tamarind pulp in the water. REMOVE the fibrous pulp and any tamarind seeds that won’t dissolve, and DISCARD them. ADD the tamarind water into the broth to taste. If you are using liquid tamarind concentrate, ADD it by the tablespoon to taste.
- SEPARATE the leaves from the stems of the herbs and CHOP the leaves. ADD the leaves to the pot.
- ADD the Kaffir lime whole leaves to soup.
- TASTE soup and SEASON to your taste preferences, using fish sauce for saltiness. COOK a 5 more minutes until flavors are well combined, ADJUSTING seasoning with salt or fish sauce if necessary. SERVE hot in bowls as a main course.
THAI STYLE FISH CHOWDER
INGREDIENT & EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST
|COMMON EQUIPMENT||SPECIAL EQUIPMENT|